Re: [xsl] How to retain the end tag when outputting an empty element?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to retain the end tag when outputting an empty element?
From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 20:03:38 -0000
On 17/06/2022 15:09, Kerry, Richard richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx wrote:

My understanding is that we agreed they were identical in effect.

But several people felt that
<test/> meant "this element type is declared as EMPTY, so it can never have an end-tag"
whereas
<test></test> meant "this element is declared with potential content of some kind, but for whatever reason on this occasion it has none".

Certainly in the Humanities (ie TEI) this can be a very important distinction, especially as empty elements would often carry large amounts of metadata in attributes.

And I guess the next question would be bwhyb as all XML parsers are (or should be) happy with the single form, shouldnbt they.

Peter