Re: [xsl] clever ways to dynamically copy/create element structure as needed?

Subject: Re: [xsl] clever ways to dynamically copy/create element structure as needed?
From: "Chris Papademetrious christopher.papademetrious@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:04:39 -0000
I tried implementing your suggested using a moded template. From the default
stylesheet mode, I match the topmost element of the element path I know will
exist, then call an badd-datab moded template on it:

  <xsl:mode on-no-match="shallow-copy"/>

  <xsl:template match="topic">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="add-data"/>
  </xsl:template>

The moded template successively call itself for each lower level, inserting an
empty element of the next level if it doesnbt already exist:

  <xsl:mode name="add-data" on-no-match="shallow-copy"/>

  <xsl:template match="topic" mode="add-data">
    <xsl:variable name="empty-prolog">
      <prolog/>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="title,titlealts,shortdesc,abstract"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="(prolog,$empty-prolog)[1]"
mode="add-data"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="body,related-links,topic"/>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="prolog" mode="add-data">
    <xsl:variable name="empty-metadata">
      <metadata/>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates
select="author,source,publisher,copyright,critdates,permissions"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="(metadata,$empty-metadata)[1]"
mode="add-data"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates
select="change-historylist,resourceid,data,sort-as,data-about,foreign,mathml,
svg-container,unknown"/>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="metadata" mode="add-data">
    <xsl:apply-templates
select="audience,category,keywords,prodinfo,othermeta"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="data[not(@name = 'prefix')]"/>
    <data name="prefix">my-prefix</data>
    <xsl:apply-templates
select="sort-as,data-about,foreign,mathml,svg-container,unknown"/>
  </xsl:template>

This is not too bad, but I wonder if there is still a more elegant way to do
it.

- Chris