Re: [xsl] Filtering, xslt 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Filtering, xslt 2.0
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:41:44 -0000
On Mon, 2022-10-31 at 17:50 +0000, Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> (I believe I have found where in the specs it discusses this before,

implicit existential quantification
is the phrase to look for. I think in the spec it's actually now,
[[
General comparisons are existentially quantified comparisons that may
be applied to operand sequences of any length. The result of a general
comparison that does not raise an error is always true or false.
]]  https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-31/#id-general-comparisons

This is the XPath 3.1 prose, but this is also in XPath 2; in XPath 1 =
works the same way but on node sets, so you can write
	boy[sock = 'blue']
and get true of false regardless of how many sock elements there are.
Or,
	//table[.//td > 600]
to find any table with one or more td elements having a numeric value
greater than 600.

liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/