Re: [xsl] Re: How to express this in XPath: "when condition do action" where condition cannot be evaluated until data arrives later

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: How to express this in XPath: "when condition do action" where condition cannot be evaluated until data arrives later
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:58:37 -0000
On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 01:46:22PM -0000, Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> Let me relax my requirement that the "when condition do action" functionality be implemented exclusively in XPath. Let's also allow XSLT. Also, let's allow extension functions.
>
> Given those relaxed requirements, could the functionality that I seek be implemented like this:
>
> Read the next XML document.
> If the XML document contains data about cars then
>     Call an XSLT function, f:waitForPoliceReport()

Why not run the XSLT in response to the police report arriving?

It's easy to consume the police report (presumably into a map) and then
do the processing on the other data source.

It looks like all the difficulty comes in because you're thinking of the
conceptual "processing is delayed for the report" as something that has
to be implemented literally.

--
Graydon Saunders  | graydonish@xxxxxxxxx
^fs oferiode, pisses swa mfg.