Re: [xsl] XSLT result tree fragment, with XSLT 3.0 and xsl:variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT result tree fragment, with XSLT 3.0 and xsl:variable
From: "Michael Kay michaelkay90@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:17:18 -0000

<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Why the WG felt it necessary to impose these restrictions has always
>> eluded me.
>
> I think itbs easy to forget the relatively narrow design goal of XSL
> 1.0: transform an XML document into another vocabulary styled for
> presentation (HTML or XSL Formatting Objects). Basically, DSSSL with
> angle brackets.

Indeed. Looking at the history of successive drafts, my feeling is that quite
close to finishing, they realised that they had created a model in which
node-sets and result-tree-fragments were very similar beasts, but they were
worried about the potential can of worms that might be caused by an attempt at
grand unification at that stage of development.

Michael Kay
Saxonica