Re: [xsl] xslt 3.0, and use of 'as' attribute with xsl:variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt 3.0, and use of 'as' attribute with xsl:variable
From: "Mukul Gandhi mukulg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:35:51 -0000
Hi Mike,

On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 2:26b/PM Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

> You will find that people have a wide range of views on this. If you want
> your views to be taken into account, you are very welcome to join the QT4
> initiative - zoom calls every Tuesday at 16:00 UK time. If your experience
> is anything like mine, you will often find that an idea which seems
> perfectly obvious to you is not at all obvious to others, so expect some
> robust debate.

Thanks.

I'm surely, much lesser experienced and knowledgeable than you. Surely one
of the days, I may try to join the QT4 CG zoom call. But I do read the QT4
group mails on public list regularly.

I might like to try providing as follows, one of the generic suggestions
for 4.0 group of XSL (XSLT, XPath, F&O) specs,

I did see the XPath 4.0 F&O latest draft spec few days ago, and felt that
the function library has huge list of additions. Few XPath 4.0 functions
proposed, looked to me syntactic sugar over XPath 3.1 functions. I think,
we should have XPath 4.0 new functions, that really provide missing
essential features.

XPath 3.1 already has ability to define user-defined inline functions and
calling them via dynamic function calls, and using these within XSLT 3.0
stylesheets and XPath 3.1 expressions. This is lot of flexibility to XSLT
3.0 and XPath 3.1 users wrt the availability of XPath functions.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi