Somewhat off-topic question (isolating XLST engine) was Re: [xsl] Followup about Saxon-HE and Oracle Unified Directory (OUD) problem

Subject: Somewhat off-topic question (isolating XLST engine) was Re: [xsl] Followup about Saxon-HE and Oracle Unified Directory (OUD) problem
From: "ohaya ohaya@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:49:30 -0000
 Hi,

Sorry - per the subject this may be kind of off-topic for this list...

This is a really a followup re. the discussion in this thread, but, basically, because of the problem with trying to get Saxon-HE (and apparently any XLST engine) integrated with the OUD (per this thread), I ended up proposing that we implement and deploy a small (really small) service app that takes an XML and then performs the XSLT and responds with the transformed XML file.

I even implemented such a service app, and it is working, but unfortunately, I am pretty sure that they are not going to approve of this approach, so they are pushing for modifying our code to handle both the original messages and the new messages, and I think that that is going to involve replicating an entire class hierarchy (document, nodes, attributes, etc. along with all the "wiring" code, which I think is going to be a huge mess (and effort), so I'm trying to find some ideas about how to avoid that :(...

So I have a couple questions:

1) In one of the responses I got from Oracle, they said the following: "Also OUD ships a jaxb jar ./lib:jaxb-api-2.2.12 which may or may not be helpful for you. ". I kind of ignored that comment/suggestion at the time, but now, I am wondering, can we somehow leverage that Oracle-produced jaxb jar, to allow us to use SAXON-HE together with OUD?

2) Has anyone else run into a similar situation, and if so, is there maybe some way to "isolate" the XLST engine/libraries so that it doesn't cause the problems that I encountered when I tried to integrate the SAXON-HE libs with OUD?

Sorry, as I said, I know that this is probably off-topic :( !

Thanks,
Jim

     On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 06:35:46 PM EDT, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am willing to try to build the plugin with the following in the plugin code:
>
> System.setProperty("javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory", "net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl");
>
> to see if that would allow the OUD to start. Do you think testing that would be helpful at all?

No, it wouldn't help at all. If Saxon is on the classpath it will make no difference, and if Saxon isn't on the classpath it won't work.

Michael Kay
Saxonica