Versions of "fair use"

Subject: Versions of "fair use"
From: SDavies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:08:43 -0600
We hear much of the American fair use copyright policy and how it is to be
interpreted in the academic setting.  What do other countries call their
"fair use" policy, in order to distinguish it from the American model?

In Canada, we refer to our "fair dealing" exceptions (Fr.: "utilisation
equitable") and we don't use the phrase "fair use".  We need to promote our
own distinct terminology, to help our instructors remember that they can't
do everything they see their American counterparts do.

Stephen Davies  (appreciative list-reader)
Classroom Services Coordinator
Mount Royal College, Calgary
mailto:SDavies@xxxxxxxxxx