FW:

Subject: FW:
From: mcelrata@xxxxxxxxxxx (McElrath Andrea)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:19:05 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:	Andrea McElrath [SMTP:mcelrata@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:	Monday, July 08, 2002 9:38 AM
To:	'digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

To all,

I have a question that was asked of me by one of our
professors here at St. John's.  This professor has put
together a bibliographic web site on Aristotle.  Right now
this site contains only citations, title, author, year
published etc.  He would eventually like to include
abstracts for each citation which could probably number
into the thousands.  This professor will not be writing the
abstracts himself but would like to copy each abstract
exactly as he finds them and post them to his web site.

His question is who owns the copyright to these abstracts?
 And can he do something like this or does he have to get
permission from each author or from each index publisher if
that is the case?   To explain, in many cases the
abstract(s) could be written by the author of the article
and/or book.  Or it could have been written by someone (a
librarian or other professional or perhaps even a
non-professional) working for a publisher of indexes.
(Wilson, Lexus-Nexus, MLA, PsychAbstracts, etc.)  Would
getting permission from one of these publishers help?  Does
he need to speak with a copyright lawyer or other
professional knowledgable in this field?

I would really appreciate any help or direction anyone
could give me regarding this.

Thank you.

Andrea McElrath
Reference/ILL/Periodical Librarian