licence terms

Subject: licence terms
From: "Picciotto, Sol" <s.picciotto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:23:32 +0100
In answer to Steve, we have done a sort of renegotiation with Elsevier for
Science Direct. This now takes a large chunk of our serials budget, and I was
concerned that their online terms and conditions limited use to personal use by
each user. When we checked our licence (taken out in December 1999) it was
indeed so limited. Contacting Elsevier by email, I was passed on to Mark
Seeley, apparently a Vice President and General Counsel of Elsevier Science, in
Newton MA. He claimed that they had a long-standing agreement agreement with
NESLI (the UK's National Electronic Site Licence Initiative), and both the
NESLI terms and Elsevier's current licence terms allow incorporation of
extracts from the database in electronic (and printed) coursepacks. So
apparently we can get our licence amended to include this. Whether it would
happened if I had not asked, I don't know. Also, he has not yet agreed to
modify the terms and conditions statement on the website. SD does seem
sensitive to their image nowadays....

cheers

sol

********************************