RE: Query on digitizing chapters

Subject: RE: Query on digitizing chapters
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:28:29 +0100

On Thursday, August 15, 2002 5:06 PM, Shirley Maul [SMTP:maul@xxxxxxxxxx]
wrote:
> 	It is my understanding that if an author who is the copyright
> holder gives us permission for a chapter of his or her book to be
digitized
> for reserve for one course for one semester that should be sufficient
> permission.  (They are usually delighted that someone wants to use thier
> work!)
> 	 We are finding that the author sometimes is uncertain and suggests
> we also contact the publisher and invariably the publisher asks for a big
> fee (which does not go to the author).  We have already purchased the
book
> in print and usually put the print on reserve as well.  Also note that
> digitizing a chapter is not equivalent to creating a course pack which
one
> publisher thought.   No money is changing hands.
> 	My question is: Does the publisher who does not have copyright have
> the legal right to ask for a fee?  Are other academic libraries having
the
> same experience?  We want to do the right thing but not incur unjustified
> expenses.

It depends....

on the actual terms of the  publishing agreement between the author and the
publisher, and possibly on the jurisdiction.

If the author only granted the publisher print-on-paper volume rights, then
the author's permission may be sufficient.

If the author, while retaining ownership of the copyright itself, has
granted the publisher an exclusive licence to rights which include the
digitisation rights, then the author's permission is not sufficient.

In the UK (though I believe not in the USA, but I may be wrong) there is in
addition a publisher's copyright in the typographical arrangement, which
you might infringe by scanning.

It is generally best to deal wih the publisher, even when they do not hold
the rights. Publishers' rights and permissions departments *should* contact
the author (or his or her agent) on your behalf if they do not hold the
rights themselves, and  *should* have people working in them who know about
copyright; authors should be able to rely on their publishers to handle
this type of business administration on their behalf.  I emphasise the
"shoulds" because not all publishers have always exercised the highest
standards in their dealings with their authors, but you will not
necessarily be helping matters by going to the author direct.

You say the money does not go to the author: again this is not always the
case, it depends on the contract and whether there is an outstanding
advance.

Publishers' concerns about the  practice of digitising for e-reserves are
understandable. The fact that no money changes hands is not commercially
germane, the issue is whether it means that fewer books will be sold.
 Frequently though the impact of reserve use is neutral and in some cases
may even indirectly result in higher sales of the book concerned. If you
deal with the publisher directly, you will help to keep them informed of
the way their material is being used and help them to reach rational rights
and permissions decisions.

In the USA, an alternative, which should result in substantial
administrative savings, is to deal through the Copyright Clearance Center,
who have a programme for e-reserves, although I believe that not all
publishers participate. If you are based outside the USA, there are
equivalent RROs which may be able to help.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***