Re: Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication"

Subject: Re: Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication"
From: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:40:15 -0400
    Sigh.  I did not say anything that Richard Stallman accuses me of.  Not one
    thing.  What's the point of talking about the creation and dissemination of
    knowledge if we do not read carefully?

My comment referred to the following statement:

    > Well, isn't this the whole point? I mean the ENTIRE point? The issue of
    > intellectual property (or knowledge or whatever you want to call it)
    > dissemination has only a teeny weeny bit to do with its creation and a huge
    > amount with actually calling things to people's attention. This is what
    > publishers do.

I read that text carefully and stated my views about it.  The
juxtaposition implies that enabling publishers to advertise justifies
copyright restrictions on our freedom.

Precisely who wrote those words, whether it was you or someone else, I
don't know.  If it was not you, and if it doesn't state your views,
then please do not feel my response was aimed at you.