RE: Question

Subject: RE: Question
From: "Paul Cary" <PCary@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:46:19 -0400
I'm not really a copyright guru, but I'll give this a stab.  My understanding is that the hard-copy analog of this would probably be legal under certain circumstances.  Specifically, if the professor distributed a photocopy of an article to his students, it would be legal if A) it was a relatively spontaneous idea (i.e., not something he planned to do at the beginning of the semester); B) he included a statement of copyright with the article; and C) it was a one-time affair, not something he repeats each semester.  This is, I believe, based on the "educational exemption".  I would guess that similar considerations would apply to the digital copy.  But I could be missing something.

Paul Cary
Director, Jones Music Library
Baldwin-Wallace College
275 Eastland Rd.