RE: Full-text access, etc.

Subject: RE: Full-text access, etc.
From: "Joseph Esposito" <espositoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:08:17 -0700
I happen to agree with virtually all of Ms. Urquiaga's comments, especially
her vision of a progressive view of education and the ability of people of
all means to have access to educational materials, but I want to clarify my
remarks and note one point of disagreement.  I was not advocating a more
limited definition of fair use; rather, I was remarking that in the absence
of a more limited definition, few publications would be made available in
networked digital form.  This is a matter of economics, not public policy.
King Lear can command the winds to blow, but whether they blow or not has
nothing to do with his command.  An aggressive definition of fair use will
chase capital from the market.  It is already happening.  I would think that
the public policy question would be, How does one create intellectual
"property" in the absence of capital?  I don't know how, and my faith in our
civic culture post-Howard Jarvis is not great (alas).

The point of disagreement is Mr. Urquiaga's remark that no one "is
advocating the fair use right to take a textbook and scan it into an online
database."  This is not so.  Many people are advocating this.

Joe Esposito
espositoj@xxxxxxx