Re: digital-copyright Digest 24 Jan 2003 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 136

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 24 Jan 2003 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 136
From: informania@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:28:34 +0100
Sorry, I only get this list as a digest, and as a result have let a few days
go by since Balasz Barany wrote.

Let me tackle the often-repeated and superficially plausible but
nevertheless absurd idea that rights stretching beyond an author's life
cannot impel creativity. "How could dead authors be motivated to write more
books?" as Balasz puts it.

There are very many examples of authors writing solely so that they can feed
their families after they die. Anthony Burgess claimed that he only started
writing his books (Clockwork Orange perhaps most famously) because a doctor
told him he only had a year to live. Of course dead authors cannot be
spurred to new creativity - this is a straw horse - but living authors can
certainly be motivated to write by the prospect of their works earning
something after their deaths.

So, for that matter can business people, tightrope walkers and dictators be
impelled by future money or fame. People create puzzles, set up school
funds, hide time capsules to create some effect after their deaths - and
authors write so that their families will have some kind of pension fund
which operates even after the writer earns a fine tombstone in a prestigious
cemetery (which is all that Lessig offers in this new proposal of taxation
without representation).

There is thus a reason to grant some posthumous rights to a creator. After
all, his or her family probably had to put up with a miserable wretch
scribbling away for years in abject poverty only to hit the jackpot on
his/her deathbed or shortly thereafter - it is only fair that they get
something for their forbearance at least.

Of course a continuous sequence of extensions of copyright into an
indefinite horizon cannot be justified by this argument - and I am against
the present excessive term. But a term of life plus the life of a long-lived
descendent seems amply defensible.

Moral rights are not guaranteed at all in the US, barely in the UK but
strongly in most of the rest of Europe. Thus Lessig's proposal probably won'
t effect an uneven (and, to many authors, inequitable) situation that much.

Balasz's final point seems to suggest that the ethics of caring for authors'
descendents and the ethics of people not being able to access the authors'
writings for free are somehow  comparable. It is, he says "unethical that
the public had no likelihood of knowing that the copyright term will be
extended to the insane lengths it is now". Well there's ethics and ethics.
Not to get too melodramatic about it (but why not?), Balasz, do you mean
that an authors' kids should starve to death just so you can read the dead
writer's novel for free? I take it to the extreme to make the point.

On a related topic, we should distinguish between information that is
essential to human development, including academic research literature
(access to which should never be barred by cost and rights restrictions) and
whatever can be sold. Information is not a monolith, but copyright treats it
as if it is.

Chris Zielinski
Director, Information Waystations and Staging Posts Network
Currently External Relations Officer, HTP/WHO
Avenue Appia, CH-1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: 004122-7914435 Mobile: 0044797-10-45354
e-mail: zielinskic@xxxxxxx and informania@xxxxxxxxxxx
web site: http://www.iwsp.org