DMCA and Copyright Notice

Subject: DMCA and Copyright Notice
From: "Catherine Hogan Smith" <khogan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:17:10 -0600
In 17 USC 108 as revised by the DMCA, there is a section pertaining to
the notice of copyright that libraries are required to include on any
copies made on behalf of their users. The section reads as follows:

"Except as otherwise provided in this title and notwithstanding the
provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement of copyright for a
library or archives, or any of its employees acting within the scope of
their employment, to reproduce no more than one copy or phonorecord of a
work...or to distribute such copy or phonorecord, under the conditions
specified by this section, if --
...(3) the reproduction or distribution of the work includes *a notice
of copyright that appears on the copy or phonorecord that is reproduced*
under the provisions of this section, or includes a legend stating that
the work may be protected by copyright if no such notice can be found on
the copy or phonorecord that is reproduced under the provisions of this
section. "
I added the asterisks to point up the section in question - does this
mean that we now have to state on the copy that the work has a
"copyright 2000" or whatever designation on it, instead of relying on
our blanket stamp giving notice that the work copied may be protected by
copyright? Or am I misreading that section?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Kay
Kay Hogan Smith, Asst. Professor/Librarian
UAB Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
LHL 110 - 1700 University Blvd.
1530 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013
205-934-2231