electronic distribution of articles

Subject: electronic distribution of articles
From: Jennifer Brown <jbrown246@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:16:43 -0800 (PST)
I would like to find out current practices by
librarians and other faculty on the distribution of
electronic articles in the higher education
environment.

Your responses on your interpretations of copyright
law  / TEACH ACT and what you do at your institution
will be most appreciated...

1. If a licensed user of a library database sends an
email to the reference desk asking for a particular
article, and you find it full text in a database, do
you email it to this patron ? (because they are a
licensed user - and you can verify such).

OR do you send the patron instructions on how to
access the article on their own?

2. If teaching faculty want to post a full text
article to a course management system for a limited
time for their class to read, is it enough to password
protect for all licensed users (a general
university-assigned login and password)?

OR must access to this article be limited to _only_
the class members?  [TEACH ACT...]

3. How does this situation change if, in each above
situation it were a paper article scanned (by library
or by professor) into a PDF document?

Thank you - I look forward to your responses and think
it will be worth exploring on-list.

Jennifer

=====
Jennifer Brown