RE: The DMCA has a chilling effect on computer science research.

Subject: RE: The DMCA has a chilling effect on computer science research.
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:15:19 +0100
On Thursday, April 10, 2003 7:26 PM, Jeff Buckley
[SMTP:jehobu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> A Boston judge recently dismissed a challenge to the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act.  A Harvard student wants to be able to study a pornography
blocking software, but he might face retribution from the company that
manufactures it if he does.  The DMCA has a chilling effect on computer
science research.  See http://news.com.com/2100-1025-996245.html.

> Lofgren's BALANCE Act of 2003, HR 1066,
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.01066:, may be a step
toward protecting such research, but the act distinguishes computer
programs from literary works.  It has wide support,
http://www.house.gov/lofgren/news/2002/supportbalance2003.htm.

> Jeff Buckley
> MLIS Candidate
> UW Information School

This is, I submit, a failure of the intellectual property system. In patent
law, there is an express bargain between the community and the inventor: a
limited monopoly is granted in return for publication of the invention.

The use of copyright law to protect software, without source code
disclosure, circumvents the publication requirement of patent law. I have
long been of the opinion that  copyright in published software should be
conditional on full disclosure of the source code; as well as facilitating
the study of computer science, it would I believe have prevented many of
the monopolistic abuses which have characterised the computer software
market.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***