Re: From the Chronicle/German Law

Subject: Re: From the Chronicle/German Law
From: "Intellectual Property Virtual Scholar" <ipscholar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:06:57 -0500
Colleagues:  I have not see the actual text of the law, but putting
together various pieces....  In 1996, the World Intellectual Property
Organization completed negotiation of a treaty that called for such
things as "anticircumvention" provisions.  Complying with that treaty
led to the US enactment of the DMCA.  In 2001, the European Union
issued a "directive" to its member countries requiring them to comply
as well.  The new German legislation is (I believe) intended to conform
German law to the WIPO Treaty and the EU directive, but with
exceptions, etc., that generated the news item here.

Kenny Crews
www.copyright.iupui.edu