RE: Comments on digital-copyright Digest 25 Jun 2003 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 207

Subject: RE: Comments on digital-copyright Digest 25 Jun 2003 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 207
From: Walt_Crawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:59:09 -0700
Edward Barrow writes:

   My understanding of the principle of national treatment is that the US
   government could, if it chose to do so,  assert copyright in its works
   in
   the UK.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm aware that some U.S. governmental agencies do, in
fact, claim copyright on their works when used outside the United States.

For example, a number of publications produced by the Library of Congress
carry the copyright phrase
Copyright [year] by the Library of Congress except within the USA.

So Barrow is right on the money.
-walt crawford, rlg-