[Fwd: [ALA-WO:838] Legislation Would Make Research Accessible (ALAWON v 12 n. 59)]

Subject: [Fwd: [ALA-WO:838] Legislation Would Make Research Accessible (ALAWON v 12 n. 59)]
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:38:43 -0400
FYI...

-------- Original Message --------
ALAWON: American Library Association Washington Office Newsline
Volume 12, Number 59
June 30, 2003

In This Issue: Congressman Sabo Introduces Legislation Making Federally
Funded Research Accessible to the Public

Congressman Martin Olav Sabo (D-MN) introduced the Public Access to
Science Act (H.R. 2613 or PASA) of 2003 on June 26.  The act would amend
copyright law to require federally funded research be made available to
the public. "It is wrong when a breast cancer patient cannot access
federally funded research data paid for by her hard-earned taxes. It is
wrong when the family whose child has a rare disease must pay again for
research data their tax dollars already paid for," Sabo said. The
Minneapolis Congressman went on to say, "Common sense dictates we
provide the most cutting-edge research to all who may benefit from it -
especially when they've already paid for it with their tax dollars, and
my legislation will do just that."

H.R. 2613 would require research substantially funded by the federal
government to be made available in the public domain. Sabo indicated
today's advances in science and medicine, combined with the Internet's
capability to disseminate information far and wide, make the
applicability of his legislation all the more timely. "The United States
government funds basic research with the intention and the belief that
the new ideas and discoveries that result will improve the lives and
welfare of the people at home and around the world," explained Sabo.
"Our government spends $45 billion a year to support scientific and
medical research whose product is new knowledge for the public benefit.
Via the Internet, it could be made available to everyone at home, work
or a public library. We must remember that government funded research
belongs to, and should be readily available to, every person in the
United States." "It defies logic to collectively pay for our medical
research, only to privatize its profitability and availability," Sabo
concluded.

For Immediate Release
Contact: Rick Jauert
June 26, 2003 (202) 225-4755