RE: copyright and internet

Subject: RE: copyright and internet
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:20:10 +0100
On Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:51 PM, McElrath Andrea
[SMTP:mcelrata@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this topic was ever covered but it has come up with
another
> librarian here and since I wasn't sure of the answer I thought someone
else
> might have some insight so here is the question:
>
> Is it legal to copy and use items found on the internet on another web
site?
> To clarify, an image was found in google's image search engine, copied
and
> placed on an associations web site.  Should credit be given as to where
this
> came from or no?  If the image was found on another web site, could one
copy
> it and use on their own or an associations web site?

Copying someone else's work requires permission, unless the use is othewise
permitted - e.g., in the USA, it is a fair use. The fact that you found the
image on a website makes no difference; it's copying, and you should get
permission. Besides, whatever the law says, it would only be polite to do
so and to provide a due acknowledgement to the person who created the
image.

On another list there has recently been quite intensive discussion as to
whether just making an inline link to the other image would constitute an
infringement; the law is unclear on the point. But downloading the image
file, and uploading it to your site, is definitely an act of copying - and
it's unlikely to be a fair use, although there are others who are better
qualified than I to examine the point in detail.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***