In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:52:11 -0400

DVD Industry Wins Suit Over Posting Codes:  Courts May Block Web Users
>From Posting Codes That Can Be Used to Illegally Copy DVDs, Court Says
By The Associated Press, ABCnews.com, Aug. 26
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20030826_897.html

"Internet disclosures of trade secrets aren't protected by the
Constitution's free-speech guarantee, the California Supreme Court has
ruled in a decision hailed by Hollywood and business groups."
*
More Coverage:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5067665.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/26/technology/26CODE.html
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,60179,00.html
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/editorial/6614893.htm
--------------

MIT Everyware
By David Diamond, wired.com, Issue 11.09 - September 2003
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/mit.html

"Every lecture, every handout, every quiz. All online. For free. Meet
the global geeks getting an MIT education, open source-style."
---------------

US backs down on copyright
By Simon Hayes, theaustralian.news.com, August 21, 2003
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,7017138%255E643,00.html

"US trade officials have backed off from a tough line on music, movie
and software piracy, admitting that shoehorning Australia into a
copyright regime based on criminal law may be "a bridge too far".
---------------

Time to give up on copyright law?
By Ed Quillen, Denverpost.com, August 19, 2003
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~150~1577963,00.html

"Although I own hundreds of copyrights, I'm beginning to think that
society would be best served if copyright laws were repealed."

Blame Canada
By Jay Currie, techcentralstation.com, 08/18/2003
http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/techwrapper.jsp?PID=1051-250&CID=1051-081803C

"A desperate American recording industry is waging a fierce fight
against digital copyright  infringement seemingly oblivious to the fact
that, for practical purposes, it lost the digital music sharing fight
over five years ago. "