Re: Transfer to video

Subject: Re: Transfer to video
From: Jeff Buckley <jehobu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
Why should libraries at state schools even bother adhering to copyright law?  Federal copyright laws do not apply to the states according to Chavez v. Arte Publico Press, 204 F.3d 601 (5th Cir. Tex. 2000).  It seems like copyright holders have little legal recourse when states infringe their copyrights.

To make up for this, states may eventually choose to enact their own copyright laws (possibly with the assistance of The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws).  Until then, it looks like states will enjoy sovereign immunity under the 11th amendment.

Here is what the University of Texas Office of General Counsel says about the Chavez decision, http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/chavez.htm.

Jeff Buckley
MLIS candidate at the University of Washington Information School