In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:34:27 -0500

RIAA adopts paramilitary garb for parking lot bust
By Andrew Orlowski, theregister.co.uk, /01/2004

(San Francisco) With one eye on their role in a future crimebusting cop
show [*], RIAA employees donned paramilitary kit as they swooped on a
Hispanic parking lot attendant in Los Angeles before Christmas."
-------------

Penn State Launches Online Music Service
BY The Associated Press, Technews.com, January 12, 2004
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11080-2004Jan12.html

" The launch of Napster's online music service for Penn State students
generated about 100,000 downloads or streaming-audio requests Monday,
three days after its debut, school officials said."
--------

Copy No-No: Adobe and Uncle Sam
By Associated Press, Wirednews..com, Jan. 11, 2004
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,61877,00.html/wn_ascii

" Adobe Systems acknowledged Friday it quietly added technology to the
world's best-known graphics software at the request of government
regulators and international bankers to prevent consumers from making
copies of the world's major currencies."
---------------

Celebrities, Computer Maker Unite to Fight Piracy
By Reuters.com,January 9, 2004
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=4098598

" Rock stars, soul singers and famous faces from the movies came to Las
Vegas on Thursday to help one of the world's largest computer companies
make a pitch against digital piracy."
-------------

Jefferson: Nature Wants Information to Be Free
by AARON SWARTZ, posted January 12, 2004

"Since many have said that my view of copyright and patent law is
childish and held merely because I grew up with Napster and do not write
for a living, I thought I'd investigate some more respectable views on
the subject. And who better than those of our thoughtful third
President, Thomas Jefferson? Judging from his letter to Isaac McPherson,
Jefferson's thoughts are thus:"

U.S. faults South Korea over copyright piracy
By The Associated Press, IHT.com, January 9, 2004
http://www.iht.com/articles/124383.html

" The Bush administration, seeking to crack down on piracy of American
movies, records and computer programs, has branded South Korea as among
the worst offenders in failing to protect U.S. copyrights."