Issue re: Database and Collections of Information Act of 2003 (H.R. 3261)

Subject: Issue re: Database and Collections of Information Act of 2003 (H.R. 3261)
From: clarkjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:26:14 -0500
List colleagues,

I have another question to pose (so soon! so soon!), this
time in relation to the current H.R. 3261:
http://www.haledorr.com/files/upload/data_collections_act_2003
.pdf

In my reading of this legislation, I have some concern that
included under its database protection could be copyrighted
works or (now) public domain works (that formerly were
copyrighted).

The definitions of "collective works" and "compilations"--
which are cited as exceptions to "works of authorship" not
covered by H.R. 3261--seem to me to allow sufficient
interpretive leeway that authored works (most logically those
subject to copyright) could be included within the larger
authored work that qualifies as a "database" receiving the
legislation's protection. Because Sec. 6 ("Other rights not
affected") mentions "copyright" specifically, in regard to
rights/limitations/remedies that interact with the
legislation, this seems to reinforce the assumption, at least
to me.

But I have not yet read any commentary on H.R. 3261 that
specifically addresses anything like this. Have I missed it,
or am I completely wrong in this suspicion?

Jeff

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources MSC 1701