Issue re: Database and Collections of Information Act of 2003

Subject: Issue re: Database and Collections of Information Act of 2003
From: clarkjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:52:22 -0500
Thanks, Dr. Trosow, for this intricate and clear explanation.

It's gratifying to confirm that I'm not just a lousy reader
of legislation. Not so gratifying to know that I not only
missed ALA's original position on this bill, but also managed
to be careless enough in checking their web site that I
missed it in retropect!

Jeff

>Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:38:16 -0500
>To: digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: Samuel Trosow <strosow@xxxxxx>
>Subject: Issue re: Database and Collections of Information
Act of 2003

>Jeff Clark raises an important question in his March 4th
posting.

>Section 2(1) defines 'collective work' as "a work, such as a
periodical
>issue, anthology, or encyclopedia, in which a number of
contributions,
>constituting separate and independent works in themselves,
are assembled
>into a collective whole."
>
>Section 2(3) defines 'compilation' as  "a work formed by the
collection
>and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are
selected,
>coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the resulting
work as a
>whole constitutes an original work of authorship. The term
`compilation'
>includes collective works."
>
>The definition of 'databases' in section 2(5)
defines 'database' and
>provides a listing of exclusions in 2(5(B):
>
>"The term database does not include any of the following:
>
>(i) A work of authorship, other than a compilation or a
collective
>work." (bill cites all taken from thomas.loc.gov, enter H.R.
3261)

>By citing compilations or collective works as an exception
to what is
>excluded from the definition of database, the act indeed
includes these
>works within its broad scope, albeit in a roundabout and
clumsy manner.

>This particular concern was addressed in a joint ALA-AALL-
ARL-SLA letter
>filed in opposition to the bill last Fall (available at
>http://www.ll.georgetown.edu/aallwash/lt09042003.html):
>
>"Relation to the Copyright Act. For the first time, the
draft bill now
>explicitly encompasses periodical issues, which are
themselves covered
>under the Copyright Act. This raises fundamental questions
about the
>relationship between this bill and the copyright law. It
appears that if
>this draft were to become law, the very same action (such as
an
>interlibrary loan) would be lawful under the Copyright Act
but a
>potential violation of the draft database legislation. This
new approach
>will cast a shadow over all of the exemptions currently in
the Copyright
>Act, thus necessitating a re-litigation of those provisions
and a
>court-provided clarification of which law governs when."
>
>The implications of this double coverage would be
significant if the
>bill is passed and allowed to stand, it's just one more
reason to oppose
>an otherwise very bad bill.
>
>Samuel Trosow
>Assistant Professor
>University of Western Ontario
>Faculty of Law / Faculty of Information & Media Studies

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources MSC 1701
James Madison University