RE: Fair use question

Subject: RE: Fair use question
From: "Blobaum, Paul" <p-blobaum@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:32:18 -0500
The educational guideline of 3 minutes only applies to educational
*multimedia* projects, in face to face educational uses to enrolled
students in accredited non profit (non commercial) educational
institutions.

Since he is wanting to publish a transcript in a book, I just don't see
a case for using "fair use".  Besides these are only guidelines endorsed
by certain publishers, not necessarily PBS or whoever made that
documentary.

The editor of the book would certainly require permission to use a
transcript.

When in doubt, *ask permission*.

Paul

Paul Blobaum          708-534-4990 x5142
University Professor and Health Sciences Librarian
Governors State University Library
University Park, IL  60466       p-blobaum@xxxxxxxxx