<no subject>

Subject: <no subject>
From: Peggy Hoon <peggy_hoon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:17:26 -0400
Paul,

Generally speaking, based on the information you have given in your email,
it looks like your use would be within Section 110(4) of the copyright act.
(Educational use does not in and of itself constitute fair use; your
contemplated use is a public performance of a copyrighted work so you are
correct in looking for the copyright exemption that would permit it.)

Section 110(4) reads as follows:
4)

 performance of a nondramatic literary or musical work  otherwise than in a
transmission to the public, without any  purpose of direct or indirect
commercial advantage and without  payment of any fee or other compensation
for the performance to  any of its performers, promoters, or organizers, if
-

 (A)

 there is no direct or indirect admission charge; or

 (B)

 the proceeds, after deducting the reasonable costs of  producing the
performance, are used exclusively for  educational, religious, or charitable
purposes and not for  private financial gain, except where the copyright
owner has  served notice of objection to the performance under the
following conditions;

 (i)

 the notice shall be in writing and signed by the  copyright owner or such
owner's duly authorized agent; and

 (ii)

 the notice shall be served on the person responsible  for the performance
at least seven days before the date of  the performance, and shall state the
reasons for the objection; and

 (iii)

 the notice shall comply, in form, content, and manner  of service, with
requirements that the Register of Copyrights  shall prescribe by regulation;

Best, Peggy
--
Peggy E. Hoon
Scholarly Communication Librarian