[Fwd: Re: Copyright - student outreach in colleges/universities]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Copyright - student outreach in colleges/universities]
From: Mainstreet Tech Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:01:30 -0500
-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:53:19 -0500
From: Mainstreet Tech Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Karle-Zenith, Anne" <annekz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, digitall-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This past fall, our part of Penn State's Outreach Program, I worked with
   Ginny Pearson and Dr. Matt Jackson to develop a course on copyright
issues that would be interactive and interesting. This developed from
the book I wrote on the landmark U.S.Supreme Court decision in Whelan v.
Jaslow that confirmed use of copyright laws to protect computer
software.  This book was titled "My Mom's Making History--The Story of
Computer Software, Copyrights and Creativity" and was directed toward
teaching students the history and purpose of copyrights along with the
current day issues.   Many of the outstanding spokespersons involved
with copyright issues contributed to the postscript of the book to
provide a variety of perspectives.

Three sessions were held this past fall with very positive feedback and
we hope to continue in the spring.   As you are probably aware, Penn
State has been a leader in addressing copyright issues and was the first
to offer students access to legal music downloads as part of their
activity fees.

Please let us know if we can be of help to you. Elaine Whelan