Re: Webcasting conferences

Subject: Re: Webcasting conferences
From: "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:21:27 -0600
Dawn,

We webcast university events and I agree with your interpretation of copyright ownership for these cases. The IT group has release forms that participants are asked to sign before webcasts can be generated: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/webcasting/release/index.html> . I know there are companies who tape ALA and ACRL conference events; I've always been asked to sign a release form which I think granted the recorder a nonexclusive right to produce and sell and audio recording of the event. This is also similar to our approach for oral histories. I don't think whether or not the event is paid or free has any bearing.

Claire

Does anyone have experience webcasting entire conferences?  What issues
did you run into?

I believe the presenters would own the copyright to their presentations
and therefore would have to give approval to the right to webcast their
sessions.  This is probably especially true for the paid
pre-/post-conferences.

Even if you have not experienced webcasting, what issues/problems would
you anticipate?

The webcast would be for the entire conference, would be archived for
30 days, and would be open to anyone on the internet (not just
association members).

Dawn Rohan
Intellectual Property Librarian
Wyoming State Library