RE: question about performance

Subject: RE: question about performance
From: "Jill Hurst-Wahl" <Hurst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:58:14 -0500
Jack,

If the jazz band performed its own original material (everything was
theirs), then you need their permission only.  If they performed copyrighted
works from other artists, then there may be (should be) royalty concerns.
For example, if they played a Beatles' song, then whomever owns the Beatles'
songbook (Michael Jackson) would need to be compensated.  Likely the
compensation would be for each instance that the song is played, not just a
one-shot deal.

I used to work in radio, so I'm basing my answer above on that experience
and on what I've read in the copyright law.  (Remember that the copyright
holder controls the rights to performance.)

Jill

Jill Hurst-Wahl
Tel: (315) 243-4403 / www.HurstAssociates.com
Digitization 101 blog:
http://hurstassociates.blogspot.com
Hurst Associates, Ltd. works with organizations
that are interested in creating, managing and
preserving digital assets. We can help you to
learn about digitization, plan your project,
develop selection criteria, and more.