MPLC question

Subject: MPLC question
From: Marjorie Rathbone <rathbone@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:19:03 -0400
I found a link to the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation
(http://www.mplc.com/index.php )in a posting to this list and was wondering
if anyone can share their experience with this company.  Here is the
situation which prompts the question.  Part of our University's mission is
social justice.  In accordance with that, we are having our freshman read
the book Mountains Beyond Mountains and are doing associated programming on
Haiti and the AIDS epidemic.  Part of that programming is a video series
for faculty, students, and administrators in our campus theater - no
outside publicity, charge, etc.  I understand from the perspective of
copyright law that this is outside the narrowly-defined "face-to-face
teaching activities" and we would need permissions to show commercially
produced videos and DVDs in this case, thus my question as to the validity
of using MPLC for an "umbrella license".   Thank you for any input.

Marjorie A. Rathbone
Associate Director for Resources Management
Saint Joseph's University Library
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
rathbone@xxxxxxx