In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:09:32 -0400

Staying legal can be dicey COPYRIGHT ROULETTE
By Philadelphia Inquirer, August 13, 2005
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/12376821.htm
(Registration Required)

"And you cannot legally burn duplicate CDs and DVDs of copyright music
and movies for sale on the street. But what about the gray areas?"
------

Google Print Halted Amid Publisher Copyright Concerns
By Loren Baker, Search Engine Journal, 8/12/2005
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=2049

"Google Print, Google's ambitious drive to scan the text of all books
and make those books available to Google searchers worldwide, has run
into a lot of flak from various publishers and has stopped its scanning
of copyrighted books."
--------

Web site archive could raise copyright concerns
By Ryan McBride, Providence Business News, August 15, 2005
http://www.pbn.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/116236

"Remember what your company's Web site looked like in 1996? Do you
recall what information was posted? Or the images that appeared? These
answers are available to you, and the rest of the world, at Internet
Archive."
------

Movie studios accuse Lynnwood man of copyright violations
By DAN RICHMAN, SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER, August 12, 2005
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/236292_piracy12.html

"As part of a nationwide anti-piracy campaign, two movie studios
Thursday filed a federal lawsuit alleging that a Lynnwood man downloaded
and distributed at least two of their films in violation of their
copyrights."
------

US Copyright Office mulls 'Internet Explorer-only' zone
By Dennis Sellers, Macsimum News, Aug 12, 2005
http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/6656/

"Talk about a bad idea. The U.S. Copyright Office is soliciting opinions
on a planned Internet Explorer-only zone."
*
Copyright Office won't support Mozilla or Safari ... or Opera ...
Submitted by Joshua, Geek Blog, Aug 12 2005 -
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Aug/gee20050812031809.htm

"The U.S. Copyright Office has released a request for those who use its
system to comment on its plans to only support the Internet Explorer 5.1
or higher browsers in its revamped preregistration site."
-------

Copyright Applies To Photos Too
By Marion Boddy-Evans, About.com, August 12, 2005
http://painting.about.com/b/a/193266.htm

"The question about whether you can make a painting from any photo has
come up again, with someone emailing me saying: "I was told, as long as
it was a photo and one that doesn't say 'do not duplicate', that anyone
can paint a picture from a photo. You can't reproduce the photo and say
it's yours, but you can make a painting from the photo and say it is
your painting."
--------

Recording industry: CD-burning a bigger problem than file-sharing
 By Associated Press, SiliconValley.com, Aug. 13, 2005
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/12377388.htm

"LOS ANGELES (AP) - Copying music to CDs is becoming a bigger threat to
record stores' and music labels' bottom line than online file-sharing,
according to the head of the recording industry's trade group."
*
Recording Industry's Slipped Disc
By Robert MacMillan, washingtonpost.com, August 15, 2005
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/15/AR200508
1500415.html?referrer=email

"I'm about halfway through transferring the music from my nearly 1,000
vinyl albums ... to compact disc. How's that for old-fashioned?"