In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:53:36 -0400

UO Spreads The Word On E-Textbook Appeal
By Greg Bolt, The Register-Guard, September 25, 2005
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/09/25/a1.etextbooks.0925.p1.php?sectio
n=cityregion

"The future has arrived at the University of Oregon Bookstore, but for now,
Aidan Parisian isn't buying."
------

IT Confidential: Copyright, Spam, And Pamela Anderson
By John Soat, InformationWeek , Sept. 26, 2005
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=171200126

"FAIR USE? As expected, Google has been sued over its controversial plan to
document and make searchable the contents of many of the great libraries of
the world."
------

Copyright lawsuit challenges Google's vision of digital 'library'
By Daniel B. Wood, The Christian Science Monitor, September 26, 2005
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0926/p03s01-ussc.html

"Authors and publishers balk at the firm's ambitious plan to digitize world's
information, saying it needs their permission."
*
More Coverage:
http://www.corante.com/copyfight/archives/2005/09/21/google_sued_for_massive_
copyright_infringement.php
http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=17819&repository=0001_article
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/09/21/google_sued20050921.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5875384.html
--------

Rock band tells secrets of bypassing copyright system
By Associated Press, September 26, 2005
http://wwmt.com/engine.pl?station=wwmt&id=19746&template=breakout_surfing.htm

"Looks like it's not only consumers who are bugged by the copyright protection
being built into more and more CD's these days. The rock group Switchfoot's
urging fans to take matters into their own hands."
------

U.S. state finalizes plans to phase out Office: The state will support
OpenDocument as the standard for its office documents.
 By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service, September 23, 2005
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/23/HNstateoffice_1.html

"The state of Massachusetts has finalized a proposed move to an open format
for office documents, a plan that involves phasing out versions of Microsoft's
Office productivity suite deployed in the state's executive branch agencies."
-------

You authors are saps to resist Googling
By Xeni Jardin, LATImes Commentary, September 25, 2005
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-mediavore25sep25,0,18547
9.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

"A CLASS-ACTION lawsuit filed this week against Google by the Authors Guild, a
biographer of Abraham Lincoln, a children's book author and a former U.S. poet
laureate is further evidence that copyright traditionalists' knee-jerk
defenses can be worse for business than the technology they fear."
------

Will the File-Sharing Networks Perish?
By: Alexandru Macovschi, SOFTPEDIA NEWS: Softpedia Opinions, 23rd of September
2005
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Will-the-File-Sharing-Networks-Perish-9197.sht
ml

"RIAA's and IPI's efforts to stop the file-sharing networks from spreading
copyright infringing files seem to pay off. Mashboxx will acquire Grokster,
Kazaa has a few months to become a legal activity and eDonkey is not doing
very well either."
-------

The Spread of Legal Online Music
By Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed, Sept. 22, 2005
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2005/09/22/filesharing

"In the last year, the number of colleges offering their students online music
through legal arrangements with various providers has more than tripled, to
70, according to a report submitted to Congress Wednesday. Those colleges
enroll more than 670,000 students - and many other institutions are expected
to join the list soon. The idea of offering these deals, pioneered at
Pennsylvania State University, is to pay a flat sum for unlimited online
music. The motivation is simple:"
-----

Lawmakers Will Seek a Federal Study of Colleges' Success at Stopping File
Swapping
By BROCK READ, Chronicle.com, September 23, 2005
http://chronicle.com/daily/2005/09/2005092301t.htm

"Two influential members of Congress will ask the Government Accountability
Office to study colleges' antipiracy practices and report on how successful
they are, the representatives said on Thursday at a hearing about students'
file-sharing habits."
-----

Record labels tout program to disable swapping
By Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com, September 22, 2005
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5876687.html

"The music and movie industries are giving people who have swapped songs and
other copyrighted material over the Internet a new way to repent for their
illicit ways."
------

Blog: Enough with Copyright
By Frangois Joseph de Kermadec, OnLamp.com, Sep. 23, 2005
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/wlg/7887

"As part of my work, I spend my time dealing with protected content: what I
write is either copyrighted (such as my articles for the MacDevCenter) or
released under a Creative Commons license (such as this very blog), what I
develop has to fall into the hands of someone (usually the company that hired
me) and the communication work I do for my clients draws on works they own, I
own, my company owns and artists own. In other words, copyright issues are
something I have to deal with daily, if not more often, and sometimes with
potentially serious consequences."
------

Music sites caving to pressure from labels?
By Reuters, Cnet.com, September 22
http://news.com.com/Music+sites+caving+to+pressure+from+labels/2100-1027_3-58
76547.html?tag=alert

"Popular file-sharing site WinMX.com ceased operating, and similar operations
are under increasing pressure, in the continuing legal fallout among
underworld peer-to-peer music services, industry sources and users said
Wednesday."