In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:48:14 -0400

Publishers Sue Google To Stop Scanning

Book Copyrights Violated, They Say

By David A. Vise, Washington Post, October 20, 2005; Page D01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/19/AR20051019014
63.html?referrer=email

"Five major publishers sued Google Inc. yesterday, alleging that the search
engine's plans to scan millions of library books so they can be viewed on the
Internet is a blatant violation of copyright law."

*

Complaint:

http://www.publishers.org/press/pdf/40%20McGraw-Hill%20v.%20Google.pdf

-----

Court stops Web site from calling file sharing '100 percent legal'

 By AP, Mecuyry News.com,  Oct. 19, 2005

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/12943466.h
tm

"WASHINGTON () - A federal court has temporarily banned a Los Angeles-based
Web site from claiming that its service lets users legally share copyrighted
files, the government said Wednesday."

*

More Coverage:

http://news.com.com/Court+orders+music+site+to+change+its+tune/2100-1027_3-59
03181.html?tag=alert

-----

DVD Jon Lands Dream Job Stateside

By Annalee Newitz, Wired.com, Oct. 18, 2005

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69257,00.html

"SAN FRANCISCO -- Jon Lech Johansen, the 21-year-old Norwegian media hacker
nicknamed DVD Jon, is moving to San Diego to work for maverick tech
entrepreneur Michael Robertson in what can only be described as the most
portentous team-up since Butch met Sundance. "I have no idea what I'll be
doing, but I know it will be reverse engineering, and I'm sure it will be
interesting," Johansen told Wired News during a Friday stopover in San
Francisco."

-----

University Aims to Decrease Illegal P2P File Sharing

By Lisa Basile, The Pace Press, October 20, 2005

http://www.pacepress.org/media/paper424/news/2005/10/20/News/University.Aims.
To.Decrease.Illegal.P2p.File.Sharing-1026082.shtml

"A major component of today's culture involves internet technology and one of
the most popular trends is file sharing. File sharing is the process of
obtaining music or movies for free over the internet using peer-to-peer
software, such as Kazaa, Gnutella or iMesh."

-----

DC++ popular for file-sharing

Program downloads files, doesn't use up bandwith for dorms

By Christine Wang, The Daily Texan, 10/18/2005

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/paper410/news/2005/10/18/University/Dc.
Popular.For.FileSharing-1023903.shtml

"An alternative to traditional file-sharing applications that consume large
amounts of Internet bandwidth has surfaced in dorm rooms across campus. Direct
Connect Client, known as DC++, allows files to be transferred at the speed of
the University's internal network without taking up any bandwidth."

-----

Copyright concerns: Are course packets obsolete?

By Drew Long, Daily Vanguard, October 18, 2005

http://www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/18/43549d67cd2c7

"Ladies and gentlemen, course packets are officially obsolete. You know what
I'm talking about - those cute spiral-bound collections of selections from
textbooks that you get at Smart Copy or Clean Copy. Course packets are
supposed to save students money on textbooks because they combine excerpts
from expensive textbooks and other copyrighted sources. They can be had for
around $20 or $30 instead of the $200 or $300 you'd pay for all the textbooks
the articles come from."