In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:30:43 -0500
---------------------------------------

Music Publishers Ready Major Push Against Online Copyright Violators
By Antone Gonsalves, TechWeb News , Dec 19, 2005
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17500689
0

"The Music Publishers' Association plans to send "cease and desist"
letters to commercial sites that offer unlicensed print music, among
other actions. -- The Music Publishers' Association said Monday it plans
to launch by early February its first major push to shut down Web sites
that illegally offer copyrighted sheet music."
---------

Number of music file-swappers falls, study says
By John Borland, CNET News.com, December 14, 2005
http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5995350.html

"The number of United States households that swap music illegally online
has dropped significantly since the Supreme Court's summer ruling
against peer-to-peer software companies, research firm NPD Group said
Wednesday."
------

France may sanction unfettered P2P downloads
By Anne Broache, CNET News.com, December 22, 2005
http://news.com.com/France+may+sanction+unfettered+P2P+downloads/2100-10
30_3-6005860.html?tag=alert

"France could become the first country to pass a law broadly permitting
free downloads of copyright content from the Internet for private use."
------

Blog: Congress: Merry Christmas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs
By Public Knowledge, December 16, 2005
http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/19

"The House Judiciary Committee today introduced a bill (HR 4569) to
close the analog hole. The government is proposing that devices
(consumer electronics, computers, software) manufactured after a certain
date respond to a copy-protection signal or watermark in a digital video
stream, and pass along that signal when converting the video to analog.
The same goes for analog video streams, to pass on the protection to the
digital video outputs."
------

Blog: Siva, Libraries and the Google Book Search project
Posted by Joe, atypicaljoe.com, December 7, 2005
http://www.atypicaljoe.com/archives/2005/12/siva_libraries.php

"I've got substantial time off coming up; oddly enough I'm hoping to
spend some if it sinking my teeth more deeply into the issues
surrounding the Google Book Search project. And Siva's critique of it,
for his is unique."