Exhibiting Photographs and Privacy Issues

Subject: Exhibiting Photographs and Privacy Issues
From: "Sabolcik, Cara" <Cara.Sabolcik@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:03:51 -0500
Dear List,

I am in the process of planning a small exhibition (we are a very small
liberal arts college) of photographs from our archival collections.
This exhibit will focus on our Library's history and I would like to
display some photographs that contain people who are still alive today.
What are the ramifications of doing so?  Will I need to get permission
to exhibit the photographs from each individual that appears in the
photographs?  Many of our photographs were taken by photographers who
were employed by the College and the College owns the rights to these
photographs.  Therefore copyright isn't as much as a concern for us as
privacy issues are.

This is the first time that I have ever planned a photographic exhibit
and I would be interested in any knowledge, advice, or resources that
could shed more light on privacy issues.

Thank you very much for your help,

Cara Sabolcik

Cara Sabolcik

Reader Services Librarian