Copyright strategies for non-text reserve/streaming

Subject: Copyright strategies for non-text reserve/streaming
From: "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:10:47 -0500
Cross-posting; apologies for duplication.

The ALA OITP Copyright Advisory Committee is offering a program, "Copyright 101: Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask" at the upcoming annual conference (see separate message for full details, or the OITP website: <http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/washevents/woannual/oitp.htm#m>).

We are informally gathering information about copyright policies/strategies/philosophies for non-text digitization in support of university courses. If your music library, academic technologies, visual resources, video/film or other non-print media group, or other units are digitizing images, audio, and/or video, can you please ask the relevant person to reply directly to me: claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ?

Institutions need not be identified in the session, this is just to get a general idea about approaches to fair use, licensing, permissions requesting, streaming vs. download, etc. Do you digitize these material? How much, if any, can be digitized without requesting permission? Are materials retained and reused once digitized? Are you purchasing special licenses for digitization and streaming? Are you following copyright guidelines offered by the Music Library Association, Visual Resources Association, CCUMC, or other group or organization?

Many thanks.
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services, Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center
Coordinator of Digitization Projects, Northwestern University Library
(847) 467-1437
claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.library.northwestern.edu/cstewart/
http://copyrightreadings.blogspot.com