In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:21:50 -0500

Breaking the deal
By James Boyle, FT.com, November 16 2006
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/a83519c8-7593-11db-aea1-0000779e2340.html

"I hired an artist to paint a portrait. I offered $500. He agreed. We
had a deal. He painted the painting. I liked it. I gave him the money. A
few years later he returned. "You owe me another $450" he said."
-----

Second Life Will Save Copyright
 By Jennifer Granick, Nov, 20, 2006
http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72143-0.html

"Businesses in Second Life are in an uproar over a rogue software
program that duplicates "in world" items. They should be. But the havoc
sewn by Copybot promises to transform the virtual word into a bold
experiment in protecting creative work without the blunt instrument of
copyright law.
-----

Google News in trouble - again
By Search Engine News, 19 November 2006
http://www.pandia.com/sew/320-google-news-in-trouble-again.html

"Google gets into trouble with its new Scandinavian versions of Google
News."
-----

Professors get 'F' in copyright protection knowledge
By JAMES M. O'NEILL, BLOOMBERG NEWS, November 20, 2006
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/292898_copyright20.html

"U.S. college professors are flunking basic copyright protection law.
Book publishers say professors who post long excerpts of protected texts
on the Internet without permission cost the industry at least $20
million a year. Cornell University, the Ivy League college in Ithaca,
N.Y., agreed in September to regulate work its faculty puts on the Web,
Publishers"
------

Universal sues MySpace for copyright violations
But MySpace disputes the music group's charges, saying it has been
working to protect artists.
By Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com,November 17, 2006,
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6136829.html

"update Universal Music Group sued MySpace.com late Friday, claiming
that the social-networking site is infringing on the copyrights of
thousands of songs and videos."
-----

Music giants lose online copyright fight
By Xinhua, Shanghai Daily, 2006-11-20
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/11/20/297569/Music_giants_lose_onl
ine_copyright_fight.htm

A GROUP of leading international record companies has lost a lawsuit
against Baidu.com, one of China's largest Internet search engines, for
the alleged illegal downloading and sharing of their music."