In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:30:37 -0400

Blog: Lessig turns his attention to government corruption
By Georgia Harper, (C)ollectanea Blog,  June 19, 2007
http://chaucer.umuc.edu/blogcip/collectanea/

"Lawrence Lessig has formally announced his decision to turn his
attention to new pursuits: Lawrence Lessig: Required Reading: the next
10 years. Of course those of us who have looked to him for guidance and
inspiration are sad to lose his incredible mind, his voice and his
energy in the effort to bring copyright's plight to the attention of a
broader audience. It is no doubt due in some part to copyright's
relative obscurity that things have gotten as out of balance as they now
are. And he's right: he has accomplished miraculous things. Whether
others will pick up the mantle and be as effective as he was, or perhaps
even more effective, only time will tell."
------

German YouTube Hits Copyright Snag
By Scott Roxborough, AdWeek, June 20, 2007
http://www.adweek.com/aw/iq_interactive/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_
id=1003601571

"COLOGNE, GERMANY Legal issues could hold up the launch of a German
version of YouTube."
-----

Malaysia Creates Copyright Courts
By The Associated Press, Houston Chronicle, June 20, 2007
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4905906.html

"KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia is setting up special courts to hear
copyright violation cases, officials said Wednesday, boosting efforts to
stamp out rampant piracy in the software and entertainment industries."
------

Blog: Online Community: Just what is a copyright violation? Viacom vs.
Google
by Mike Rowland
http://tinyurl.com/ytglu9

"In case you missed it, there is a great explanation of the two views of
the world of online copyright being fought over right now by Viacom and
Google. At the All Things Digital Conference held a couple of weeks ago,
Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman gave his outline of what is covered and not
covered under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) regarding
copyright and how he views Google's YouTube violations of that Act.
Giving equal time, there is also an interview with Chad Hurley and
Steven Chen, the founders of Google's YouTube."
-----

Michael Moore: I Don't Agree with the Copyright Laws
MRZine.com, 19/06/07
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/moore190607.html

"I don't agree with the copyright laws, and I don't have a problem with
people downloading the movie and sharing it with people, as long as
they're not doing it to make a profit off it, as long as they are not,
you know, trying to make a profit off my labor.  I would oppose that,
but, you know,..."
----

Pirated 'Sicko' taken down by YouTube
By Associated Press, USA Today, 06/18/07
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-06-18-sicko-youtube_N.htm

"Viewers hoping to get a free look at Michael Moore's newest film,
Sicko, were out of luck Monday after YouTube pulled links to pirated
versions of the health care documentary that surfaced on the
video-sharing website over the weekend."
----

EU seeks comment on loosening copyright rules: Proposed changes would
allow authors and composers to transfer usage rights to any territory in
the European Economic Area.
By Reuters, June 14, 2007
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6190917.html

"The European Commission charged the International Confederation of
Societies of Authors and Composers (CISAC) in February 2006 with
imposing anticompetitive territorial restrictions on authors and
composers."
----

YouTube to test video ID with Time Warner, Disney
By Kenneth Li and Eric Auchard, Reuters Jun 12, 2007
http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKWEN871820070612

" Top online video service YouTube will soon test a new video
identification technology with two of the world's largest media
companies, Time Warner Inc. and Walt Disney Co..

(C)ollectanea Blog. Collected perspectives on copyright.
http://chaucer.umuc.edu/blogcip/collectanea/
Center for Intellectual Property, UMUC