Re: Reality check: The DMCA & Dissonant Paradigms?

Subject: Re: Reality check: The DMCA & Dissonant Paradigms?
From: "John Mitchell" <mitchelllist@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:31:48 -0400
Don,

In my experience, this does not sound like a fair characterization of the
DMCA. It was not really intended to save the CD industry. (A
second-generation CD was expected, but following a format war and lack of
consumer support, it fizzled.)  But it was already too late for the CD to be
retrofitted with copy controls like the DVD.

The greatest flaw, in my view, was that it failed to match existing law.
That is, the dissonance was not with any particular product or technology,
but with the Copyright Act. This is because the WIPO treaties that the DMCA
purported to further required prohibition against circumvention of
technologies to gain access neither authorized by the copyright owner nor
authorized "by law".  The U.S. Congress left that last part out, with the
result that copyright owners, who had claimed that the DMCA was only about
protecting their copyrights from infringement, woke up to find themselves
strangely empowered to prevent lawful business models that did not infringe
copyrights yet nevertheless circumvented the technological protections
unrelated to copyright. The DMCA became a tool to protect business models
rather than copyrights. Nothing in the WIPO treaties requires such a result,
but that is how the DMCA was written. (Arguably, to the degree that the DMCA
is used to prevent non-infringing access, it should have to pass the First
Amendment hurdle, given that the suppression of speech is not authorized
under the Copyright Clause.)

What was being artificially propped up by the DMCA was not old outdated
technology, but new untested delivery methods developed by monopolists
rather than competitors. Copyright owners wanted to use the DMCA to
disintermediate when they should have stuck to discovering, developing and
marketing new talent, and let the competitive markets develop,
competitively, the killer apps for delivery.

As for your note on Napster, it has been a while, but my recollection is
that it was not a DMCA case.

John

--
John T. Mitchell