Re: Are Recipes Protected by Copyright?

Subject: Re: Are Recipes Protected by Copyright?
From: "Glenn Folkvord" <glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:30:06 +0200
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lindsey, S Marc" <lindseym@xxxxxxx>

 Consider the three elements of
copyright.  Fixed tangible medium, originality, slightest creativity.
What about a snowman or a sand castle? All elements are present, at
least until the snow melts and the tide washes the castle away. While
they are standing in a fixed tangible medium, they are - I think -
protected by copyright.

I would not say that most snowmen and sandcastles are original, in that they look like millions of other similar works. It can also be debated wether they are creative, and fixed enough.

A snowman and a sandcastle are not "a medium" either. They are sculptures. But that has probably nothing to do with their copyrightable level.

glenn