RE: Using Celebrity Photos in Educational Module

Subject: RE: Using Celebrity Photos in Educational Module
From: "Cate, Beth Ellen" <becate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:33:26 -0500
An issue to consider separate from copyright is rights of publicity of famous
persons.  Many states have statutes that grant rights of publicity to famous
persons and give them varying degrees of control over the use of their image
and likeness.  In addition to Pennsylvania law, you may also want to check the
laws of other states in which Penn State has sufficient operations to subject
itself to lawsuits there.

Good luck!

Beth

Beth Cate
Associate General Counsel
Indiana University
Bryan Hall 211
Bloomington, IN  47405
(812) 855-9739 (phone)
(812) 855-0678 (fax)
becate@xxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This E-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this E-mail or any attachment is
prohibited.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us
immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your
system.  Thank you.