Re: more on orphan works

Subject: Re: more on orphan works
From: Walter Dufresne <wdufresne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:07:12 -0500
I'd like to see a more clearly codified set of requirements, something more than trivial, something that constitutes genuine *diligence* and that truly respects the intellectual property of creators. Something structured along the lines of the identification requirements for a new passport: applicants accrue more points by showing such things as a state-issued photo identification card, fewer points by showing an old baptismal certificate. Get to enough points, and you've been diligent.

Genuine diligence will be, for some segment of the public, burdensome and onerous. There's no underestimating the ease and convenience sought by some members of the public, and some publishers, when using others' property, but I'm indifferent to that desire.

Going in the other direction, the DMCA requirements for getting a web host to take down pirated work published by their customers are, in my experience, rigorous and respectful of the rights of all parties. I ask that we ask no less from would-be users of orphan works.

Respectfully,
 Walter Dufresne, adjunct assistant professor
Advertising Design and Graphic Arts Department
  New York City College of Technology / CUNY
   300 Jay Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201-2983
31 Montgomery Place, Brooklyn, NY  11215-2342
 tel:  +1.718.622.1901  fax:  +1.718.789.1452
     e-mail:  wdufresne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx