Re: Dissertation Abstracts and the Tasini Decision

Subject: Re: Dissertation Abstracts and the Tasini Decision
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:44:11 -0400
It's interesting that you mention things that, to my way of viewing copyrights, do not precisely square with such rights, making it difficult to know which rights you believe were licensed by you and which not.

You say authorized "microfilming," don't remember ever authorizing "digital distribution," but you did not assign "digital rights."

First, there is no "exclusive right of microfilming" in the Copyright Act, but microfilming may infringe the reproduction right if not licensed. If you licensed microfilming, there is a world of difference between (1) "A licensed B the right to reproduce A's work onto one copy of microfilm" and (2) "B says it wants to make a microfilm reproduction, and, at a time when everyone knew about the Internet and digital files, gets A to license to B its reproduction right in the work without limitation." If B subsequently decides to reproduce a copy onto a server, it will be in a much stronger position under the first set of facts. The devil lurks in between, such as whether the parties intended the license to be limited to microfilm, inclusive of all reproduction media known at the time, and so on.

Second, there is no "exclusive right of digital distribution." Impossible. The right of distribution in the Copyright is the right to distribute "copies" and "phonorecords" by transfer of ownership or possession of those copies or phonorecords, both of which are defined as tangible media. You may, of course, distribute a digital copy in the sense of DVDs and CDs being tangible media onto which the work is reproduced in digital form. But if by "digital distribution" you mean making a digital reproduction on a server available for downloading (i.e. reproduction onto a local medium), then it is he exclusive right to reproduction that is infringed, and not the exclusive right of distribution. Placing a copy on a server is one reproduction, and if the public is invited to make reproductions from it, there may also be secondary liability for any infringing reproductions made by downloading.

Similarly, if the copy on the server may be viewed, such as a reproduction in html format that can be viewed using a web browser, the exclusive right to display the work publicly may be infringed, but not the exclusive right of reproduction.

Finally, you mention not having assigned "digital rights." Again, there are no exclusive "digital rights" in the Copyright Act.

I suggest that you look at the six rights listed in Section 106 of the Copyright Act while holding a copy of the license that gave them the right to make a reproduction onto microfilm, and see if anything they did was not covered by that license and falls within one of the exclusive rights granted to you in the Copyright Act. (Given the nature of this -- a thesis, presumably in text, I suspect that you can narrow it down to one of three rights: The right to reproduce your thesis into copies (paper, microfilm, computer hard drives), the right to distribute the copies (e.g., paper, microfilm, computer hard drives), and the right to display the work publicly (e.g., by displaying it over the Internet).

Keep it simple. Most of the thorny questions and bad law I have seen in the digital age was because lawyers and judges thought the word "digital" meant that the 1976 Act could not possibly apply in the same way it always has.

Good luck.

John
John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com