In the News

Subject: In the News
From: "Amy Mata" <AMata@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:20:13 -0400
--------------------

You have Questions. We Have Answers. Announcing the Center for
Intellectual Property's MEMBER COMMUNITY! An online community built for
Clarification, Connection, and Certification. We all regularly use and
modify text, movies, music, and art . . . and we often have many
questions about properly using creative works. The CIP Member Community
provides answers to those questions through informative resources and
knowledgeable people. We know you have questions. . . Come get answers.
JOIN NOW and attend our summer seminar for free "COPYRIGHT 101 -
ONLINE!"

Please go to http://www.umuc.edu/cipcommunity for details.
---------

Seven Million Use 'Illegal Files.'
BBC News, May 28, 2009.

"Around seven million people in the UK are involved in illegal
downloads, costing the economy tens of billions of pounds, government
advisers say."
---------

EFF Gives Copyright Education a Crack with New Curriculum.
By Nate Anderson, Ars Technica, May 28, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/nan24m

"Not pleased with the copyright curricula generated by Big Content, the
Electronic Frontier Foundation has produced classroom materials of its
own. Not surprisingly, fair use, the public domain, and artists who love
P2P file-sharing of their music all make appearances."
---------

Gary Shapiro: The Copyright Lobby is Restricting Innovation and it Needs
to Stop.
By Mike Masnick, Techdirt, May 29, 2009.

"We mentioned recently that Gary Shapiro, the head of the Consumer
Electronics Association, is a good friend of those who are worried about
companies taking away consumer rights in the tech field. For years, he's
been a strong voice against entertainment companies trying to expand and
extend copyright laws to cut off innovative new products."
---------

Justice Department Sides with Cablevision against Hollywood.
By Jon Healy, The Los Angeles Times, May 29, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/ktt5lc

"Just what, exactly, are all those Hollywood types getting in return for
their investment in Barack Obama's presidential bid? The Justice
Department, a steady ally for the entertainment industry on copyright
issues during the Bush administration, today opposed the studios in a
potentially precedent-setting dispute with Cablevision over TV recording
services."
---------

Music Industry Sees Night Clubs as a New Source of Revenue.
By Eric Pfanner, The New York Times, May 31, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/p3uvzy

"In Australia, every nightclub-goer is now a lucrative V.I.P. - to the
music industry, at least. To pump music out to their dance floors,
Australian clubs used to have to pay record companies and artists a
nominal 7 Australian cents in royalties per guest, per night. Under a
recent copyright settlement, that rate has risen to 50 cents per
customer, and it is set to jump to 1.05 dollars, or 84 U.S. cents, in a
few years."
---------

Taking Copyright Education Seriously.
Commentary by Tim Jones, EFF, June 1, 2009.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/05/copyright-education

"Last week, after months of work, EFF launched Teaching Copyright, a
balanced, fact-based curriculum for high school educators looking to
discuss copyright issues in the classroom. We decided the time was right
to unveil the project after the debut of the Copyright Alliance
Education Foundation (CAEF), which is offering a variety of educational
materials assembled by the film, music and software industries. After
reviewing those materials, we thought it was crucial that educators have
a real alternative."
---------

Salinger Sues over "Catcher in the Rye" Sequel.
Reported by Edith Honan, Reuters, June 1, 2009.
http://www.reuters.com/article/artsNews/idUSTRE5507H720090601

"J.D. Salinger on Monday sued the writer and publisher of a book billed
as a sequel to his classic novel "The Catcher in the Rye," saying the
work infringes on his copyright."
---------

Google to Sell E-Books.
By Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek, June 1, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/l8dhxh

"The company wants to find common ground with authors, who have
complained about copyright violations through services like Google Book
Search."
---------

High-Court Nominee Mirrors Industry Copyright Stance - Update.
By David Kravets, Wired, June 1, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/nn5v5l

"When it comes to financial damages in copyright infringement cases,
Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor embraces the content industry's
party line."
---------

Critics: Google Book Deal a Monopoly, Privacy Debacle.
By Ryan Singel, Wired, June 2, 2009.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/06/google_books/

"Orphans and privacy are complicating Google's attempt to build the
digital library and bookstore of the future."
---------

BrightTALK Hosts Copyright War Summit.
Marketwire, June 2, 2009.
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Brighttalk-998315.html

"Interact with legal experts live on BrightTALK. At this free online
summit, thought leaders will explore the latest developments and
theories in copyright law for a digital age. It aims to present
viewpoints from all sides of the discussion, from academics, inventors,
IP owners, legal professionals and software developers, among others."
---------

Canadian Government Set to Consult on Copyright Act.
By Robert Thompson, Billboard.biz, June 3, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/r26lg4

"The Canadian government is expected to start a consultation process on
changes to the country's Copyright Act in mid-June, with the goal of
introducing a new bill by the end of the year, sources say."

Amy Mata
Graduate Assistant
Center for Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College

amata@xxxxxxxx