Re: streamed video on WebCT

Subject: Re: streamed video on WebCT
From: Kevin L Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:24:45 -0400
One way libraries can stream video on a CMS without permission is using
the exception to the public performance right in section 110(2) of the
Copyright Act, which is also known as the TEACH Act.  There are a series
of requirements that must be met to take advantage of TEACH, but the use
of streaming and the restricted environment of a CMS seem to me to get you
a long way toward meeting the most challenging of those requirements.  One
caveat, however, is that TEACH does not authorize, in my opinion, the use
of an entire DVD, only "limited and reasonable" portions.  I have had
others argue this point with me, but I am pretty firm in this opinion.

Fair use might apply, of course, but it depends heavily on the
circumstances.  With fair use, it will be very hard to justify the use of
an entire film as well, and I actually believe that the portions one could
stream under fair use would have to be less substantial than are permitted
by TEACH.  Indeed, the existence of TEACH to address exactly this practice
makes it seem less likely, to me, that a court would be sympathetic to a
fair use claim for a use that exceeded or did not meet the requirements of
TEACH.

I know there are institutions that stream video this way and make a fair
use argument; I am merely expressing my opinion that that argument is
tenuous and risky.

Finally, there are several companies that are trying to ameliorate some of
the difficulties with getting permission to stream video.  Swank motion
pictures now has a program to license films for CMS streaming, and some
distributors now sell films with licensed rights for streaming (I think
Films for the Humanities is an example, but am not certain).

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University
PO Box 90193
Durham, NC  27708
919-668-4451
kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

"Jenkins, Paul" <Paul_Jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
07/22/2009 12:00 PM

"'digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
streamed video on WebCT

I am unclear as to whether or not libraries need to seek copyright
permission
to mount streamed video on a course management system (in our case WebCT).
I've heard compelling arguments both for its fair use and for its
requiring
permission.

Can you clarify this issue for me?

Thanks, POJ