In the News

Subject: In the News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:54:18 -0400
----------------------------------

More on Educational Fair Use - From an Unexpected Source.

By Peter Jaszi, (c)ollectanea, August 5, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/moelq2

"When last I was heard from in this space, I was bemoaning the lack of
any solid case law supporting what, at some level, we all know the be
true:  that the educational enterprise has a special place in the scheme
of copyright law, and that - in particular - educational uses (both
commercial and non-commercial) deserve special deference in fair use
analysis."

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Inquiry Found 'Gross Academic Fraud' by Students and Employees at U. of
Texas at Brownsville.

By Charles Huckabee, The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 2, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/rc7ac9

"Student workers and other employees at the University of Texas at
Brownsville and Texas Southmost College committed "gross academic fraud"
by misusing the institutions' Blackboard course-management system to
steal test answers, The Brownsville Herald reported on Saturday, citing
a university police report from an investigation last year."

---------

Students Reach Settlement in Turnitin Suit.

By Erica Hendry, The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 3, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/nb864p

"A two-year battle over copyright infringement between four students and
Turnitin, a commerical plagiarism-detection service, came to an apparent
end last Friday in a settlement that prohibits either party from taking
further legal action."

---------

The AP Will Sell You a "License" to Words It Doesn't Own.

By James Grimmelmann, The Labratorium, August 3, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/kwl82q

"I paid $12 for this "license." Those words don't even come from the
article they charged me 46 cents a word to quote from (and that's with
the educational discount)."

---------

Short-Sighted AP Idiots Don't Know Copyright, or the Web.

By Erik Sherman, BNET News, August 3, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/moxaxl

"It wasn't too long ago that I asked the question, Is AP Run By Idiots?
But a new post by my BNET Media colleague David Weir about AP's
scheduled usage rate has got me rethinking how I phrased the question.
I'm torn between whether it's no longer necessary to ask, as an
affirmative answer is so aggressively promoted by AP itself, or if I
should have instead asked the color the organization is using for its
corporate clown suit uniform."

---------

Smithsonian Commons and Sustainable Content Usage Policies.

By Fred Benenson, Creative Commons, August 3, 2009.

"Congratulations to the Smithsonian for thinking about the future lives
of their content in such a sustainable fashion. We're very excited to
see the future developments that the Smithsonian Commons brings to free
culture on an institutional scale."

---------

Student Arrested for 'modding' Xbox Consoles.

By Wes Finley-Price, CNN SciTechBlog, August 5, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/kr2ow4

"Homeland Security officers arrested Cal State Fullerton student Michael
Crippen on Monday for modifying Xbox video game consoles to play copied
games."

---------

Canadian Copyright Consultation Submissions Keep Rolling In.

By Drew Wilson, ZeroPaid, August 5, 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/m6xfp9

"There's probably more text in all of the submissions and comments than
a medical students entire textbook collection by now. So understanding
the consultation at this point could feel like a lifetime worth of
study. To help put things in perspective, Michael Geist has posted a
handy graph to show where Canadians are standing on the issue of
copyright reform. The graph is very telling what a vast majority are
saying."