Mass-distribution of commercial product = publication?

Subject: Mass-distribution of commercial product = publication?
From: "Mina, Jannette" <JMina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:39:52 -0400
Hello List!
I work in a museum and have a question regarding the definition of
"publication" when it comes to commercially-available products.
According to the 1976 Copyright Act, "'Publication' is the distribution
of copies or phonorecords of a work to the public by sale or other
transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering to
distribute copies or phonorecords to a group of persons for purposes of
further distribution, public performance, or public display constitutes
publication. A public performance or display of a work does not of
itself constitute publication."
Would the date of production for commercially-available products, such
as a candy tin, jewelry, or silverware, constitute a publication date as
it would for printed materials, such as greeting cards? The distribution
of both print and non-print materials fits the description of
publication as defined above - copies were distributed by sale or
transfer of ownership. In this manner, can the non-print product be
considered in the public domain if it does not comply with copyright
requirements? For example, the item was created in 1955 for
mass-distribution at that time and does not have a copyright symbol,
which is a requirement for copyright protection for items published in
1955.  I would like to use an image of the work on our website, and I am
having a hard time finding info about this topic.
Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!
Jannette
ps.  The product does not have any visible trademarks.

---
Jannette Mina
Visual Resources Project Assistant
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY  10128
212.423.3326 [phone]
212.423.3316 [fax]

Visit our newly improved website at http://www.thejewishmuseum.org!

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the
intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged or legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this
in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail message and
delete all copies of the original communication. Thank you for your
cooperation.